San Francisco News
Israeli soldier held captive by hostage honored
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco has joined international cities like Rome and Paris in recognizing an Israeli soldier held hostage by Hamas since 2006.
Supervisor Scott Wiener handed a proclamation to representatives of the Israeli consulate granting honorary citizenship to Gilad Shalit, who was kidnapped by militants during a border raid five years ago.
Since the incident, his captors have not allowed visits by the Red Cross.
Students in San Francisco schools learned about Shalit's captivity during classes on Thursday.
israel, san francisco news
- Deputy saves man from fiery crash in Oakland
- DEA wages war on synthetic drugs sold on Internet
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Bus with 8 kids involved in crash in Livermore 23 min ago
- 10-year-old girl to become Wonder Girl in Vallejo
- Honda tops insurance industry safety list 11 min ago
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- Consumer Reports tests handheld gaming electronics 33 min ago
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos