San Francisco News
Fallen SF firefighters' names etched on memorial
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A special ceremony took place in San Francisco Thursday to honor two firefighters killed in the line of duty. Lt. Vincent Perez and firefighter-paramedic Anthony Valerio lost their lives in June and now their names were added to a memorial honoring the city's fallen firefighters.
The memorial now has 150 names to honor those lost in the line of duty. San Francisco Fire Chief Joanne Hayes-White presided over the ceremony. She said their names are etched on the memorial, but the memory of Perez and Valerio will be forever etched in their hearts and their minds.
The families of the fallen firefighters were there and the mayor and top brass of both the fire and police departments were present as well.
Both Perez and Valerio died as a result of a house fire they were fighting in the Diamond Heights District back in June.
Valerio's brother, Mark, said he'll never forget the support of the firefighters and the people who acknowledged his brother's work.
"It was just amazing how little kids were dressed up in their fire suits, wearing their little plastic toy hats just because they wanted to be out there to honor the firemen. I don't know how many kids that day probably decided that they wanted to become firemen," said Mark.
Hayes-White said this was by far the hardest part of her job.
Both Perez and Valerio are buried at Holy Cross Cemetery in Colma.
sffd, san francisco news, lyanne melendez
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud 45 min ago
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District 27 min ago
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports 1 min ago
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Consumer Reports cracks which eggs to buy
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at... 7 min ago
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
27 min ago
- Should you be concerned about living on the...
16 min ago
- 'Science cheerleaders' send experiment into...
21 min ago