San Francisco News
Fallen SF firefighters' names etched on memorial
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A special ceremony took place in San Francisco Thursday to honor two firefighters killed in the line of duty. Lt. Vincent Perez and firefighter-paramedic Anthony Valerio lost their lives in June and now their names were added to a memorial honoring the city's fallen firefighters.
The memorial now has 150 names to honor those lost in the line of duty. San Francisco Fire Chief Joanne Hayes-White presided over the ceremony. She said their names are etched on the memorial, but the memory of Perez and Valerio will be forever etched in their hearts and their minds.
The families of the fallen firefighters were there and the mayor and top brass of both the fire and police departments were present as well.
Both Perez and Valerio died as a result of a house fire they were fighting in the Diamond Heights District back in June.
Valerio's brother, Mark, said he'll never forget the support of the firefighters and the people who acknowledged his brother's work.
"It was just amazing how little kids were dressed up in their fire suits, wearing their little plastic toy hats just because they wanted to be out there to honor the firemen. I don't know how many kids that day probably decided that they wanted to become firemen," said Mark.
Hayes-White said this was by far the hardest part of her job.
Both Perez and Valerio are buried at Holy Cross Cemetery in Colma.
sffd, san francisco news, lyanne melendez
- Protest continues at CCSF; rally planned at city hall
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- Large marijuana grow found at home in Hayward
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Brentwood students in trouble for nude selfies
- Fairfield man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- Stockton Tunnel reopens after water line break repaired
- 2 men arrested for possessing explosives
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Tree removal dispute; Weed-laced brownies
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos