San Francisco News
Michael Moore visits 'Occupy SF' demonstrators
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Fresh from an appearance in Oakland, documentary filmmaker Michael Moore gave a boost to the "Occupy San Francisco" camp at Justin Herman Plaza Saturday afternoon.
A small group of people marched down Market Street, an event that's become a somewhat regular occurrence in the Financial District of San Francisco on Saturdays.
The Occupy San Francisco group says it's a way of making sure people are invigorated and it shows the public the group's strength in numbers.
"This is the most-organized movement growing," said a demonstrator named Jackal. "It's just a large, upset group that wants the things promised to us back."
That seems to be a continuous point made at the group, though by and large, people have said the group doesn't have a clear set of demands.
Meanwhile, city crews spent part of the day cleaning up Justin Herman Plaza. Department of Public Works employees hosed and swept the area around the Occupy campsite.
Saturday's cleanup came after a lot of people inside and outside of the camp expressed concern over the potentially unsanitary conditions.
"We're no longer worrying about words like code, park code and regulation," said Occupy medical camp volunteer Jerry Sellness. "We're starting to worry about sanitation, hygiene and safety. Those are things that concern everybody in this camp and everybody in this city."
The city says it routinely swept and power washed Justin Herman Plaza as part of their regular duties before the Occupy protesters set up camp.
occupy wall street, san francisco news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- Consumer Reports tests toothbrushes
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Two injured in accident on Almaden Expressway
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court 48 min ago
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown