San Francisco News
Michael Moore visits 'Occupy SF' demonstrators
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Fresh from an appearance in Oakland, documentary filmmaker Michael Moore gave a boost to the "Occupy San Francisco" camp at Justin Herman Plaza Saturday afternoon.
A small group of people marched down Market Street, an event that's become a somewhat regular occurrence in the Financial District of San Francisco on Saturdays.
The Occupy San Francisco group says it's a way of making sure people are invigorated and it shows the public the group's strength in numbers.
"This is the most-organized movement growing," said a demonstrator named Jackal. "It's just a large, upset group that wants the things promised to us back."
That seems to be a continuous point made at the group, though by and large, people have said the group doesn't have a clear set of demands.
Meanwhile, city crews spent part of the day cleaning up Justin Herman Plaza. Department of Public Works employees hosed and swept the area around the Occupy campsite.
Saturday's cleanup came after a lot of people inside and outside of the camp expressed concern over the potentially unsanitary conditions.
"We're no longer worrying about words like code, park code and regulation," said Occupy medical camp volunteer Jerry Sellness. "We're starting to worry about sanitation, hygiene and safety. Those are things that concern everybody in this camp and everybody in this city."
The city says it routinely swept and power washed Justin Herman Plaza as part of their regular duties before the Occupy protesters set up camp.
occupy wall street, san francisco news
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean 17 min ago
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US 40 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- California criminal behind 3-strikes law arrested
- 49ers Jim Harbaugh ready for start of free agency
- MasterCard, Visa plan group focused on security
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California! 13 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case