San Francisco News
Michael Moore visits 'Occupy SF' demonstrators
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Fresh from an appearance in Oakland, documentary filmmaker Michael Moore gave a boost to the "Occupy San Francisco" camp at Justin Herman Plaza Saturday afternoon.
A small group of people marched down Market Street, an event that's become a somewhat regular occurrence in the Financial District of San Francisco on Saturdays.
The Occupy San Francisco group says it's a way of making sure people are invigorated and it shows the public the group's strength in numbers.
"This is the most-organized movement growing," said a demonstrator named Jackal. "It's just a large, upset group that wants the things promised to us back."
That seems to be a continuous point made at the group, though by and large, people have said the group doesn't have a clear set of demands.
Meanwhile, city crews spent part of the day cleaning up Justin Herman Plaza. Department of Public Works employees hosed and swept the area around the Occupy campsite.
Saturday's cleanup came after a lot of people inside and outside of the camp expressed concern over the potentially unsanitary conditions.
"We're no longer worrying about words like code, park code and regulation," said Occupy medical camp volunteer Jerry Sellness. "We're starting to worry about sanitation, hygiene and safety. Those are things that concern everybody in this camp and everybody in this city."
The city says it routinely swept and power washed Justin Herman Plaza as part of their regular duties before the Occupy protesters set up camp.
occupy wall street, san francisco news
- Secret Service investigating Target hack 6 min ago
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Journals show students' despair, hope 22 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Journals show students' despair, hope
22 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos