San Francisco News
Surfer flees after spotting 'biggest fin I've ever seen'
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The top 36 surfers in the world are in San Francisco for the Rip Curl Pro Search Competition. Tuesday, they had an unexpected visitor in the water.
Professional surfer Dusty Payne of Hawaii was in the middle of his heat when he says he saw something in the water.
"I've seen dolphins before and it wasn't a dolphin; it was the biggest fin I've ever seen in my life, coming straight at me and the waves, they're terrible; I wasn't going to stay out there and get bit by a shark," Payne said.
"Nobody knows for sure what it was; there are a lot of dolphins at this time of the year and they're big dolphins too, it easily could have been a dolphin," Golden Gate National Recreation Area ranger George Durgerian said.
Even so, a lifeguard ranger on a jet ski is patrolling surfing areas along the beach.
Surfers know the shark threat too well. There is concern after a surfer was bitten by a 9-foot shark on Saturday in Monterey County. Rangers have asked people to stay out of the water there the rest of the week.
Back at Ocean Beach, Kelly Slater, the 10 time world champion, could clinch his 11th title. Close on his heals is Adriano de Souza, ranked No. 3 in the world.
The competitors go three at a time in half hour heats. Judges take their top scores for two waves.
sharks, ocean beach, san francisco news, don sanchez
- Frigid temperatures continue in the Bay Area 56 min ago
- Judge to determine if Oikos shooter fit to stand trial
- Gay partner benefits growing at Fortune 500 firms 36 min ago
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- 7 LA sheriff's deputies arrested in jail probe
- South Africa names speakers for Mandela ceremony
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- NTSB to highlight 'over-reliance' during Asiana hearings
- Facebook considers adding "sympathize" button
- Winter Spare the Air called for today
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos