San Francisco News
Parade honors veterans in San Francisco
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- November 11 isn't just Veterans Day -- it's also remembered as the day World War I ended in 1918. In San Francisco, the date has been celebrated for 92 years.
The Veterans Day parade started on Montgomery Street and went down Market Street, finally ending at City Hall. Groups marching in this parade paid special attention to the 70th anniversary of World War II and the 10th anniversary of the Afghanistan war.
There were a number of veterans from the Iraq and Afghanistan war marching on Friday. The day drew a lot of attention to the unemployment rate among the younger veterans: The jobless rate is higher for them compared to the rest of the nation.
An organization called Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America is helping find jobs for the men and women who served.
"Less than one percent of Americans serve in the military right now," said Afghanistan war veteran Ann Weeby, "To connect people is very important. To get people jobs is very important, and that is the work that is being done to guarantee they are successful."
The Senate passed a bill on Thursday allowing tax credits for companies that hire veterans. The house could pass the bill next week. The Obama administration is expected to announce new online services and a job bank to help veterans search for new jobs.
Veterans from the Korean and Vietnam wars also participated in Friday's march.
veterans day, san francisco news, lyanne melendez
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Budget approved but no peace: Boehner raps right
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- Arrests made in "thrill kill" of 7-11 clerk in Milpitas
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that!
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday 52 min ago
- roundup: High-speed chase; Vallejo homicides
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
54 min ago