San Francisco News
Students occupy SFSU administration building
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Over 100 college students have occupied a key building as part of a sit-in at San Francisco State University during a rally against tuition increases.
The students entered the administration building around 1:30 p.m. Tuesday afternoon and refused to leave. They accuse California State University executives of fattening their salaries while raising student fees.
This followed a series of activities that included a walkout of classes and a march around the campus. Students also signed petitions against a proposed 9 percent tuition increase for the next school year.
Students say that over the past decade, their tuition has quadrupled and they want the trustees to freeze their tuition now.
"This year alone our tuition went up by about $298 two weeks before school started," said SFSU senior Siraj Shabber. "This year, three presidents of California State University got raises of $150,000."
A spokesperson for Chancellor Charles Reed says current CSU presidents have not seen a pay increase since 2007, but acknowledged the newly-hired San Diego State University president is making $100,000 more than his predecessor.
The protesters have not decided whether to stay after the doors of the administration building close, which normally happens at 6 p.m. The administration says, however, that tonight they will leave the doors open until 11 p.m. when the night classes close.
The rally has been peaceful and there has been no police presence.
Trustees are holding a meeting Wednesday at Long Beach to vote on a budget for the 2012-2013 academic year.
SFSU, protest, tuition, san francisco news, vic lee
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF
- Female pedestrian fatally struck in Concord 10 min ago
- 2 killed by suspected DUI driver in Santa Rosa ID'd
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos