San Francisco News
'Living room' being set up on street in Bayview
SAN FRANCISCO -- Living and dining room furniture is being set up on a street in San Francisco's Bayview District today to protest the pending eviction of several residents of the neighborhood.
The event, organized by the Alliance of Californians for Community Empowerment and Service Employees International Union, is an effort to get banks to renegotiate with homeowners who are at risk of foreclosure or eviction, ACCE organizer Grace Martinez said.
Martinez said several families from the Bayview will participate in the event, at least three of whom have pending foreclosure or eviction cases, including a 75-year-old woman named Josephine who is set to be evicted next month.
Josephine was initially supposed to be kicked out of her house on Wednesday, but the San Francisco Sheriff's Department has postponed the eviction until Dec. 14, Martinez said.
She said putting furniture in the middle of the street at Quesada Avenue and Keith Street right before Thanksgiving "will bring the community together to celebrate a very American holiday, and realize a lot of home ownership is an American drea
bayview hunters point, protest, foreclosures, san francisco news
- 4.4 earthquake strikes Southern California
- Obama announces sanctions on Russian officials 16 min ago
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Female pedestrian fatally struck in Concord 59 min ago
- CHP reopens two lanes of WB I-80 in SF 41 min ago
- EU mulling next steps against Russia over Ukraine
- Jet search expands north, south; mystery persists 12 min ago
- Marijuana grow found at San Jose house fire
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
55 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos