San Francisco News
Another weekend Occupy protest hits SF
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Occupy San Francisco protesters marched through the streets of the Financial District on Saturday.
The protesters did something different from their usual weekly protest: Demonstrators went to four different neighborhoods in the city in order to protest foreclosures and evictions there.
Occupiers took the streets at 11 a.m., marching into the Bayview-Hunters Point neighborhood to protest the high rate of evictions there. Protesters also marched up Market Street along with union representatives, who are striking at local hotels.
They were joined by some tenants' rights advocates who were protesting the role of banks in foreclosures and evictions.
Also joining the protesters was former San Francisco Board Supervisor Chris Daly, who represented the Tenderloin neighborhood for 10 years.
"A neighborhood that I represented on the Board of Supervisors for 10 years, you could see how speculators took buildings, where working class people were raising their families, were struggling to get by day-to-day in one of the most-expensive places in the country to live," Daly said through a bullhorn to protesters.
The marchers came in from four locations and gathered at Justin Herman Plaza for a large rally.
San Francisco police followed the protesters since the beginning of their rally on Saturday. There were no reports of vandalism or arrests.
occupy sf, occupy wall street, protest, san francisco news
- Malaysia says jet's disappearance was deliberate
- Woman found dead in Castro Valley home was shot 33 min ago
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Investigators finally getting look at Mission Bay fire
- Man fatally stuck by Caltrain near Atherton station 7 min ago
- Police arrest woman in connection with shooting
- Crews control one-alarm house fire in Antioch 26 min ago
- I-TEAM: Small park, big problems
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos