San Francisco News
Wells Fargo hosts loan modification event
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Struggling homeowners in San Francisco are getting the chance to apply for a home loan modification if their mortgage is with Wells Fargo.
The bank is holding a session called a Home Preservation Event in San Francisco on Thursday in which customers can come in if they're struggling with their mortgage and get face-to-face help to avoid foreclosure.
Rochefuculd Rhodes is in a tough spot: Unable to make payments on his San Francisco home.
"I was caught in one of those loans where you had to pick your payment, was told some things that weren't true about it and I got caught up in the payment mortgage crunch," Rhodes said.
Rhodes' loan was with Wachovia, but he says he's happy to be dealing now with Wells Fargo.
"We find that if they can come in and talk with someone face-to-face and see a person that they will actually open up and tell us more about what they need and share their financial history with us," said Tracy Curtis with Wells Fargo. "They're just more comfortable, less intimidating."
Through outreach like the home preservation workshop, Wells Fargo has modified more than 700,000 home loans since 2009.
"Our goal is to keep people in their homes," Curtis said. "We don't want to foreclose on homes. We're not in the business of owning homes."
"I've got hope," said Rhodes. "They say keep hope alive. That's what I'm trying to do here. Keep my hopes alive to keep my property."
The event is in San Francisco at the Calvary Hill Community Church at 141 Industrial Street from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. An appointment can be made, but walk-ins are accepted.
mortgages, wells fargo, foreclosures, san francisco news
- Two men shot, killed on I-880 in Oakland ID'd
- Photos released of suspect in violent SJ carjacking
- Police say realignment may be cause of crime spike
- Probe begins after Conn. commuter trains crash 9 min ago
- Newark police investigate officer-involved shooting
- Longshoreman killed after truck falls into water
- FEMA to fund removal of trees from East Bay Hills
- Credit card skimming devices found at 2 gas stations 41 min ago
- Steve Wozniak to give Cal commencement speech
- Italian team calls for better safety for America's Cup
- Grenade found in San Jose garage detonated safely
- abcnews: Rumor: Beyonce pregnant with 2nd child
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges 23 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday