San Francisco News
Glide Memorial Church hands out 8,000 toys
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Some of Santa's helpers at Glide Memorial Church are beginning to relax after one very busy morning. The helpers have spent the last few hours making sure thousands of San Francisco children have a gift to open for the holidays.
The families have come and gone, but the line was long and Glide Memorial Church was prepared. Barricades were set up around the building to keep things organized.
The giveaway began at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, but the first family in line arrived Monday at 4 p.m. For children waiting in line, it might as well have been Christmas morning. Children were excited to receive gifts they hope to get, from bikes to sporting equipment.
"We know the economy has hit everybody," said Janice Mirikitani, the founding president of Glide Memorial Church. "We anticipate that there will probably be more people in line for toys this year as there were more people in line for food bags."
"My mom can't really afford it with how she's been, with bills and everything," said one child in line whose mom works in the hospitality industry and has two other children.
Charles Schwab partnered with Glide in order to provide the toys, and individual donations helped as well. In all, Glide gave away 8,000 toys this year and though the line was long, organizers felt confident that no child left empty-handed on Tuesday.
Glide has a Christmas Eve lunch and a Christmas Day dinner to plan for the future.
charities, christmas, glide memorial church, san francisco news
- Bay to Breakers draws thousands to San Francisco
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Two Powerball tickets in Calif. have 5 of 6 numbers
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Emergency officials monitor Wichita-area tornado 10 min ago
- 2 men arrested in killing teen over iPad in Las Vegas
- Girl killed, parents hurt by shots fired into home
- Child injured in fall from second-story window in SF
- Warriors PG Stephen Curry set to receive key to city 24 min ago
- SF police ask for help in solving 2012 B2B homicide
- US gas prices up 11 cents over past 2 weeks
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire 49 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos