San Francisco News
23-year-old man arrested for fatal hit-and-run
SAN FRANCISCO -- A 23-year-old man was arrested for allegedly fleeing the scene after fatally striking a pedestrian under a highway overpass in San Francisco on Saturday morning, a police spokesman said Tuesday.
Juan Martinez, a San Francisco resident, was arrested following a crash that was reported at about 8:30 a.m. Saturday near the intersection of Potrero Avenue and Cesar Chavez Street under U.S. Highway 101, police Sgt. Daryl Fong said.
The male victim was found by officers on a traffic island on the street under the highway. Investigators believe Martinez was driving a vehicle that traveled onto the island and struck the victim, according to Fong.
Police arrested Martinez at about 3 p.m. Saturday. He was booked into jail on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter, felony hit-and-run, driving on a suspended or revoked license and driving while using a wireless device, Fong said.
He said Martinez's use of the wireless device while driving "may have played a role" in the crash but "the investigation has not been completed yet."
The victim has been identified but his name is not being released until his family is notified of the death, according to the medical examiner's office.
Anyone who may have witnessed the crash is encouraged to call the Police Department's anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444 or send a tip by text message to TIP411.
crash, pedestrian struck, hit and run, san francisco news
- Plane's disappearance result of "deliberate action"
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Investigators finally getting look at Mission Bay fire
- I-TEAM: Small park, big problems
- Death of woman found in home considered homicide
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Crews busy dismantling old span of the Bay Bridge
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Group says GM airbag failures caused 303 deaths
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos