San Francisco News
23-year-old man arrested for fatal hit-and-run
SAN FRANCISCO -- A 23-year-old man was arrested for allegedly fleeing the scene after fatally striking a pedestrian under a highway overpass in San Francisco on Saturday morning, a police spokesman said Tuesday.
Juan Martinez, a San Francisco resident, was arrested following a crash that was reported at about 8:30 a.m. Saturday near the intersection of Potrero Avenue and Cesar Chavez Street under U.S. Highway 101, police Sgt. Daryl Fong said.
The male victim was found by officers on a traffic island on the street under the highway. Investigators believe Martinez was driving a vehicle that traveled onto the island and struck the victim, according to Fong.
Police arrested Martinez at about 3 p.m. Saturday. He was booked into jail on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter, felony hit-and-run, driving on a suspended or revoked license and driving while using a wireless device, Fong said.
He said Martinez's use of the wireless device while driving "may have played a role" in the crash but "the investigation has not been completed yet."
The victim has been identified but his name is not being released until his family is notified of the death, according to the medical examiner's office.
Anyone who may have witnessed the crash is encouraged to call the Police Department's anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444 or send a tip by text message to TIP411.
crash, pedestrian struck, hit and run, san francisco news
- Deputies monitoring PG&E substation in San Jose
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion
- SAP looks to hire those with autism, Asperger's
- Experts weigh in on Bay Bridge broken bolt debacle
- Wind wreaks havoc across the Bay Area 1 min ago
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
- Group wants parents to boycott Harvey Milk Day
- 49ers new stadium to host Super Bowl 50 in 2016
- Bay Area fire captain among team sent to Oklahoma
- 7 On Your Side: Save on summer vacation flights
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- abcnews: Hero teacher covered students with body
- roundup: Boy nearly run-over; Oklahoma aid 4 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday