San Francisco News
23-year-old man arrested for fatal hit-and-run
SAN FRANCISCO -- A 23-year-old man was arrested for allegedly fleeing the scene after fatally striking a pedestrian under a highway overpass in San Francisco on Saturday morning, a police spokesman said Tuesday.
Juan Martinez, a San Francisco resident, was arrested following a crash that was reported at about 8:30 a.m. Saturday near the intersection of Potrero Avenue and Cesar Chavez Street under U.S. Highway 101, police Sgt. Daryl Fong said.
The male victim was found by officers on a traffic island on the street under the highway. Investigators believe Martinez was driving a vehicle that traveled onto the island and struck the victim, according to Fong.
Police arrested Martinez at about 3 p.m. Saturday. He was booked into jail on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter, felony hit-and-run, driving on a suspended or revoked license and driving while using a wireless device, Fong said.
He said Martinez's use of the wireless device while driving "may have played a role" in the crash but "the investigation has not been completed yet."
The victim has been identified but his name is not being released until his family is notified of the death, according to the medical examiner's office.
Anyone who may have witnessed the crash is encouraged to call the Police Department's anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444 or send a tip by text message to TIP411.
crash, pedestrian struck, hit and run, san francisco news
- Fatal crash blocks lanes of I-580 in Livermore
- Antioch man arrested after wild, high-speed chase
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- Consumer Reports puts AA batteries to the test
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions
- San Jose fire crews battle one-alarm house fire
- 32 students participating in 'shop with a cop' event
- NYC college student dies during fraternity ritual
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- Vallejo police ID two most recent homicide victims
- Instagram launches direct messaging feature
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: Copper wiring theft; "Shop With a Cop"
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos