San Francisco News
Mayor Ed Lee's inauguration set for Sunday
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Inauguration ceremonies for San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee will take place on Sunday. Former Mayor Sen. Dianne Feinstein will be there to swear in the mayor and so will an array of music and dance performers reflecting the city's diversity.
Dancers of the award-winning Leung's White Crane International Dragon and Lion Association are preparing for Sunday's special performance in City Hall at the inauguration of Lee. Dance groups from seven cultures will perform, organized by World Arts West, which started the San Francisco Ethnic Dance Festival 34 years ago.
"Being this is the year of the Dragon, we're going to perform with the 150-foot golden dragon just to bless him and make sure he has a smooth, smooth year for his new office," said Gary Low, a coach from Leung's White Crane.
It's appropriate they should be part of ceremonies for San Francisco's first Asian-American mayor. It's appropriate too since the dragon is filled with symbols and is a mythical character in the Chinese zodiac.
"It's the best part of all the animals together and it becomes the most powerful and that's what this city is. It's made up of all the components like a dragon. So that's very appropriate I think for this city and for this mayor," said David Li, a Chinese cultural consultant.
The event is Sunday, Jan. 8, 2012 at City Hall. Doors open at 10 a.m. and the ceremony will begin at 11 a.m. This event is open to the public.
ed lee, san francisco city hall, dianne feinstein, san francisco news, don sanchez
- Teen survives flight from SJC to Hawaii in wheel well 51 min ago
- PG&E to be arraigned in fatal San Bruno blast 31 min ago
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- Barricaded man taken into custody in San Jose 34 min ago
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Posey, Lincecum lead San Francisco Giants to 4-3 win
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal shooting in Concord; Piedmont landslide
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
12 min ago