San Francisco News
Tenderloin Health to discontinue operations
SAN FRANCISCO -- Funding challenges are causing the close of a nonprofit in San Francisco's Tenderloin neighborhood that provides care to vulnerable residents living with or at risk of contracting HIV or AIDS.
Tenderloin Health, located at 255 Golden Gate Ave., announced Thursday that its board of directors voted to discontinue operation of the agency.
The nonprofit provided counseling, case management and housing for hundreds of HIV or AIDS-affected residents in the Tenderloin and surrounding areas.
Agency officials said the recent loss of $500,000 in federal funding caused them to make the decision to close.
Tenderloin Health CEO David Hernandez said in a statement that service to the agency's clients would not be interrupted during a transition period to new providers, who are expected to be announced by the end of this month.
San Francisco's Department of Public Health and Human Services Agency will be working with Tenderloin Health on the transition plan, which will include opportunities for employment for current staff at the nonprofit, according to agency officials.
San Francisco Director of Health Barbara Garcia thanked Tenderloin Health for its service to the community and said the city had been moving toward financial stability in recent years but said in a statement that the loss of federal funding "undermined all the progress they made."
tenderloin, non-profit, HIV, AIDS, san francisco news
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested
- One injured in apartment fire near San Jose State
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes 16 min ago
- 'Legends of Candlestick' to return for final game
- Afghanistan hospital guard kills three American doctors
- 2 arrested for murder of pet sitter in East Oakland 31 min ago
- Batteries in baby video monitors recalled
- Brentwood boy to be honored at MLB All-Star game 18 min ago
- Suspected San Jose homicide victim identified 27 min ago
- 5-year-old Oakland boy shot in eye with paintball gun
- Amazon launches grocery service for Prime members 8 min ago
- Actor dressed as homeless man fools New Yorkers 33 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Muni bus fire; Hiker rescued 38 min ago