San Francisco News
Young calves join older bison at Golden Gate Park
SAN FRANCISCO -- Golden Gate Park's bison herd expanded this week when a half-dozen calves joined a trio of adult bison in a newly renovated paddock, San Francisco Recreation and Park Department officials announced this week.
Six young bison joined their older counterparts in the paddock just a week after one of their fellow baby bison died after running into a fence in fright after being chased by an off-leash dog.
A post-mortem exam showed that the baby bison died from blunt force trauma, suffering broken ribs, cuts and internal bleeding.
Since their birth late last year, the young calves were quarantined in an area of the park near the main bison paddock.
The new additions to the bison paddock are meant to replenish the aging herd of three female bison, according to the RPD.
"The bison are truly unique and magnificent treasures of Golden Gate Park, and we are thrilled that the young and old bison are together now," said Phil Ginsberg, RPD general manager.
Bison have been kept at the park since the 1890s, when the city's park commission bought a small herd.
Though populations of North America's largest living native animal have dropped sharply over the past century, conservation efforts such as Golden Gate Park's breeding program have protected remaining herds, according to the park department.
golden gate park, san francisco zoo, animal, animals in peril, san francisco news
- Collapse feared at site of massive Mission Bay fire
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Parents warned about new psychedelic drug
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Recall issued for Fitbit Force over skin problems
- Man accused of shooting SF police officer facing assault charges
- Strong winds destroy boats at Oyster Point
- No fault in how Children's Hospital handled gir's surgeries 57 min ago
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- roundup: Fatal motorcycle accident; Watsonville...
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos