San Francisco News
Protests mark anniversary of Roe v. Wade in SF
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Thousands of protesters took to the streets Saturday, just one day before the 39th anniversary of Roe v. Wade.
One demonstrator said it was the recent shift in the political landscape that motivated thousands of anti-abortion activists to take to the streets of San Francisco Saturday morning.
There were two groups with two very different views on life in the womb. The "West Coast Rally for Reproductive Justice" said they would march rain or shine, marking the 39th anniversary of Roe v. Wade and a woman's right to choose. Just up the street was the annual "Walk For Life," an anti-abortion group calling for a repeal of that Supreme Court decision.
The Walk For Life drew demonstrators from across the country, young and old. "It's important to show the family that they're a part of something a little larger," Rick Cartier said. He and his family represent three generations of those who believe that every life has value. "We've done it three years in a row now, again, just to show the kids that we're a pro-life family and to participate with other pro-life people."
The group that started at Civic Center marched peacefully down Market St. holding signs while flanked by the San Francisco Police Department. "The pro-life movement is the civil rights movement of our generation," John Johnson told ABC7, a youth minister who escorted 10 busloads of young people to San Francisco for Saturday's rally.
There were only a handful of pro-choice demonstrators and that may be because they have the court on their side. The groups did find one more opportunity to clash. At a Starbucks off of Justin Herman Plaza, there was both coffee and spirited debate.
Abortion rights demonstrators were frustrated by their small showing. Both sides, even though they vehemently disagree, were peaceful. Police say there were no arrests and no displays of violence.
abortion, protest, san francisco news
- Collapse feared at site of massive 5-alarm fire in SF 38 min ago
- FBI searching for Bay Area bombing suspect 7 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault 23 min ago
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos