San Francisco News
Mirkarimi charges prompt billboard campaign
SAN FRANCISCO -- Domestic violence charges against San Francisco Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi have prompted an advocacy group for domestic violence victims to raise money for a billboard that would highlight the issue.
La Casa de las Madres, a San Francisco-based domestic violence victim shelter, is seeking to raise $4,000 for the billboard, which would be placed near the Hall of Justice in the city's South of Market neighborhood, according to Katharine Berg, the organization's associate director.
The billboard would say "Domestic Violence is NEVER a private matter. If you need help, call (877) 503-1850," a reference to statements Mirkarimi made about his case, which stems from a Dec. 31 argument with his wife, Eliana Lopez, during which he allegedly grabbed and bruised her arm.
On the day of his swearing-in as sheriff Jan. 8, Mirkarimi called the case "a private matter, a family matter."
However, five days later he was arrested and charged with misdemeanor domestic violence battery, child endangerment and dissuading a witness. The case is set to go to trial Feb. 24.
Berg said the billboard would be in opposition to Mirkarimi's statement that the case is "a private matter" and in support of all domestic violence victims.
"We want to encourage people to pay attention," she said. "San Francisco needs to make a strong statement to victims and survivors that it's a safe place."
The campaign to raise money for the billboard started today, with $300 being raised since this morning. The organization is seeking to raise the necessary $4,000 by 5 p.m. Thursday.
La Casa de las Madres is raising money for the billboard with the assistance of LoudSauce, a San Francisco-based startup that raises money via "crowdfunding" on the Internet and uses it to place advertisements in various media.
More information about the campaign can be found on the organization's website, www.lacasa.org.
ross mirkarimi, crime, children, san francisco news
- Manager reveals details of teen's stowaway survival
- Man punches neighbor whose house caught on fire
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- Pedestrian critically injured in accident in SF
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Images released of shipwreck in San Francisco Bay 33 min ago
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week
- Young Oakland boy shot in the eye with paintball gun
- Pair sets record with BASE jump off world's... 11 min ago
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- South Korea ferry toll hits 156 as search gets tougher
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan