San Francisco News
Woman drives car into water at Ocean Beach
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A car found a very unusual parking spot in San Francisco Friday morning.
It all started before dawn when a woman drove her Lexus E350 sedan into the surf at Ocean Beach just south of the Beach Chalet. She had to be rescued and her car could be in the water for a while.
Firefighters responded to the scene around 6:30 a.m. They believe the woman was alone in the car at the time and are not looking for any other victims at this time. They left the car sealed up and it appeared to have not taken on any water.
Debris is often kicked up onto the sand by the surf and occasionally, a beached whale is discovered, but this may be a first. Officials are still trying to figure out exactly what happened and how it happened.
In the meantime, the sight is drawing quite a few curious onlookers. "It's surfing. It's having a great time out there in the swell," beachgoer Brennan Byrd said. "I think they're going to try and pull it out. For the sake of the ocean and everyone who enjoys this beach, I hope they get it out."
They are indeed planning to pull it out of the water eventually, but fire officials said they wanted to wait until low tide Friday evening. The way the ocean was tossing the car around Friday morning, if they wait too long, the car might not still be there.
ocean beach, sffd, rescue, crash, san francisco news, heather ishimaru
- Mega Millions winning ticket sold in San Jose 12 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist 50 min ago
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos