San Francisco News
Report: San Francisco firefighters died in 'flash over'
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The final report on the last house fire two San Francisco firefighters ever fought has been released.
Firefighter Anthony Valerio and Lt. Vincent Perez were killed in a Diamond Heights house fire last June. They died in a phenomenon called a "flash over," something every firefighter fears. An 8-month San Francisco Fire Department investigation concluded that they died because of a broken window that no one could have predicted. It also concluded that the two firefighters did everything they should have done that morning.
The report says the two men were suddenly exposed to extreme heats between 550 and 700 degrees when a window broke in the room where the fire had begun. Oxygen rushed in, causing the flash of heat that raced over the fireman. They were found unconscious about seven minutes later.
"We were well on our way to developing some of the new policies that, in some ways, could have made a difference," Chief Joanne Hayes-White said. "But basically, you'll find that the key factor was something that was a variable that we really had no control over. It was the failure of the window on the back end of the floor where Tony and Vince were."
Lt. Perez died the day of the fire. Firefighter-Paramedic Valerio died two days later.
Chief Hayes-White says the report was delivered to the firefighter's families earlier this week so they would have some time to digest it before it became public.
One piece of equipment that failed in the Diamond Heights fire may possibly lead to national changes. The firefighters' portable radio microphone and speaker cable failed in the heat and as of now, there is no national standard for that piece of gear. Chief Hayes-White is hoping that information might lead to some changes.
Whether or not that equipment failure made a difference in what happened is unclear.
sffd, fire, san francisco news, heather ishimaru
- Secret Service investigating big Target data breach
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos