San Francisco News
Occupy march disrupts traffic, invades shopping center
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Occupy demonstrators once again took to the streets in San Francisco Friday night, protesting against police. At one point the group marched into the Westfield Center on Market Street, surprising shoppers.
Occupy protesters began at the foot of Market near Embarcadero at about 7 p.m., cursing the police while chanting "No justice, no peace."
They walked up Market Street, blocking all westbound traffic, including Muni streetcars and busses.
They turned at Powell Street where they chanted and decided to block traffic at Powell and Geary for about 10 minutes.
As they headed down Stockton, they placed nearby construction barriers in front of police, blocking the street and causing officers to work at getting them out of the way.
Seeming emboldened by this, they walked up Market again and proceeded to occupy Westfield Center. There they chanted until security managed to get them to leave.
"Actually I was kind of worried, but after that no because they were screaming but laughing and having fun," shopper Edwardo Pastor said.
The group decided to march towards the Tenderloin. At Eddy and Taylor they were greeted by riot-gear clad San Francisco police officers. The officers managed to turn the group back toward Market Street.
They were planning to dance in the street at the end of the march, but the rain stopped that. One of the protestors said that both Occupy San Francisco and Occupy Oakland would meet to decide what to do next.
occupy sf, occupy wall street, protest, san francisco news
- 4.4 earthquake strikes Southern California
- Obama announces sanctions on Russian officials 57 min ago
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Female pedestrian fatally struck in Concord
- CHP reopens two lanes of WB I-80 in SF
- EU mulling next steps against Russia over Ukraine
- GM recalls 1.18 million SUVs for air bag problem 23 min ago
- Jet search expands north, south; mystery persists 53 min ago
- Marijuana grow found at San Jose house fire
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos