San Francisco News
Car crashes into Richmond District home
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A car slammed into a house and the couple who lives there had to evacuate. It happened in the Richmond District at 43rd and Balboa.
Police and fire officials investigated the scene and the building inspector was also there late Tuesday night checking for any structural damage. The Dodge Cruiser went right into the corner of the house, near the garage.
Right before 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, neighbors say they heard the car screeching down the hill on Balboa. At 43rd Avenue the car veered left into a home, right where the electric meter was.
PG&E came out to the home and turned off all the power as well as gas.
Homeowner Susan Francis was inside with her husband. The couple had finished their Valentine's Day dinner and they were watching TV when the crash happened.
"My husband and I were in the living room and we just heard this long screeching and then an impact, a crash. My husband right away said 'call 911' so I did that and then when I came out here other people were already out here pulling the man out of the car," said Francis.
Francis says they actually did not feel the house shake at the time. The driver was said to be dazed and disoriented when he got out of the car. It is unknown if alcohol was a factor in this. He was taken to the hospital.
The family will be able to stay in the house, but they are not going to have power, electricity, or gas for the night. In the morning they're going to have to deal with their insurance companies to take care of this mess.
43rd and Balboa has been a bad intersection in the past. Neighbors say a few months ago a car came down Balboa and crashed into a laundry mat across the street from the house that was damaged Tuesday night. That laundry mat is still boarded up from that previous accident.
richmond district, san francisco news
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Fire in Novato damages garage and two cars 45 min ago
- Scientists locate shipwreck in San Francisco Bay 14 min ago
- Free health clinics to take place in the Bay Area
- Palo Alto hiker rescued in Yosemite after fall
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- Measuring California's impact from affirmative action ban
- Classical music legend Art Barnes is retiring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
38 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos