San Francisco News
SF pillow fight cleanup cost an estimated $5,000
SAN FRANCISCO -- The cleanup after the annual Valentine's Day pillow fight in San Francisco's Justin Herman Plaza will cost taxpayers an estimated $5,000 this year, a Department of Public Works spokesman said Wednesday.
After hundreds of people pelted each other with pillows for hours on Tuesday evening, public works and Recreation and Park Department employees went to work cleaning up the mounds of scattered feathers and pillow stuffing left behind.
The cleanup involved 12 public works employees on swing and overnight shifts, including two who steam-cleaned the sidewalk, and a mechanical street sweeper, public works spokesman Greg Crump said.
The Parks and Recreation Department contributed four employees during the swing shift.
The cleanup crew gathered dozens of bags of pillow debris and loaded them into trucks, and used a "green machine" sweeper to collect the pulverized pillows.
Costs of the cleanup effort were up from last year, when the price tag was estimated at $3,500. However, that was down from 2010, when cleaning up the plaza cost $16,000.
Last year's cost was probably so low because it rained on Valentine's Day, Crump said.
The pillow fight is not an officially sanctioned city event. This marks the seventh year that pillow fighters have appeared in Justin Herman Plaza.
justin herman plaza, holiday, valentine's day, san francisco news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City 56 min ago
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- Consumer Reports tests toothbrushes
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident 43 min ago
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies 46 min ago
- Two injured in accident on Almaden Expressway
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Mi Pueblo grocery stores submit bankruptcy plans 35 min ago
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown