San Francisco News
Gang-related shooting at Fisherman's Wharf
SAN FRANCISCO -- A shooting in San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf neighborhood on Wednesday night is believed to be gang-related, police said Thursday.
"It appears this incident is gang-related, the victim is a known gang member. He is being uncooperative with investigators at this point," Sgt. Daryl Fong said.
Police have released two suspects they had detained briefly in connection with the shooting after determining that, while the suspects were in the area of the shooting, they were not directly involved, Fong said.
Investigators are looking for a third suspect who remains at large.
The shooting was reported around 10 p.m. in the 300 block of Jefferson Street, in the same block as the In-N-Out Burger restaurant.
Police said a man pulled a gun and shot another man once during an altercation involving a small group of people.
"It appears that the victim's group initiated a confrontation with the suspect's group prior to the shooting," Fong said.
The victim was shot in his upper thigh and was transported to San Francisco General Hospital, where he is in stable condition, Fong said.
Fong said witnesses identified three possible suspects in the shooting, and police located two of them.
They were briefly detained, but were later released after police determined they were not responsible for the shooting.
The third suspect remains at large.
fisherman's wharf, crime, gang violence, shooting, san francisco news
- Two dead after apartment building fire in SF
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped
- Local teen gets Bryan Cranston's help in promposal
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Woman struck by cab in downtown San Francisco
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Mandatory water cutbacks ordered in Livermore 21 min ago
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York
- California home prices surge in March; sales fall
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
32 min ago
- Woman attacked by 200-pound bear
47 min ago
- Mandatory water cutbacks ordered in Livermore
21 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos