San Francisco News
Gang-related shooting at Fisherman's Wharf
SAN FRANCISCO -- A shooting in San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf neighborhood on Wednesday night is believed to be gang-related, police said Thursday.
"It appears this incident is gang-related, the victim is a known gang member. He is being uncooperative with investigators at this point," Sgt. Daryl Fong said.
Police have released two suspects they had detained briefly in connection with the shooting after determining that, while the suspects were in the area of the shooting, they were not directly involved, Fong said.
Investigators are looking for a third suspect who remains at large.
The shooting was reported around 10 p.m. in the 300 block of Jefferson Street, in the same block as the In-N-Out Burger restaurant.
Police said a man pulled a gun and shot another man once during an altercation involving a small group of people.
"It appears that the victim's group initiated a confrontation with the suspect's group prior to the shooting," Fong said.
The victim was shot in his upper thigh and was transported to San Francisco General Hospital, where he is in stable condition, Fong said.
Fong said witnesses identified three possible suspects in the shooting, and police located two of them.
They were briefly detained, but were later released after police determined they were not responsible for the shooting.
The third suspect remains at large.
fisherman's wharf, crime, gang violence, shooting, san francisco news
- Freeze Warning remains in effect across Bay Area
- World mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Shelter-in-place advisory lifted for Pittsburg residents
- Speeding driver rear-ends San Jose police officer 6 min ago
- Statewide AMBER Alert for Washington girl
- Bay Area mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Parents sound off on baby seat with iPad-holder 44 min ago
- 5th day of searching for SJ CEO turns up empty
- Teen arrested in theft of part from Paul Walker crash
- Teens arrested for alleged gang rape near Richmond
- abcnews: 5 unexpected facts about Nelson Mandela
- roundup: Hate crime task force; Suspect fatally shot
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
17 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos