San Francisco News
42-year-old San Francisco Zoo grey seal dies
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Just days after Gene, a 41-year-old rhino, passed away, the San Francisco Zoo is now mourning the loss of Orkney, a 42-year-old Atlantic grey seal.
Orkney arrived at the zoo in 1970 and was considered to be the oldest grey seal living in any North American Association of Zoos and Aquariums' captive populations.
Earlier this week Orkney became weak and lethargic, developed breathing issues, and was put to sleep Friday morning.
animal, san francisco zoo, san francisco news
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF 14 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks 8 min ago
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Missing woman from Benicia found in Alpine County
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
14 min ago
- International effort underway to find...
23 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting...
8 min ago