San Francisco News
42-year-old San Francisco Zoo grey seal dies
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Just days after Gene, a 41-year-old rhino, passed away, the San Francisco Zoo is now mourning the loss of Orkney, a 42-year-old Atlantic grey seal.
Orkney arrived at the zoo in 1970 and was considered to be the oldest grey seal living in any North American Association of Zoos and Aquariums' captive populations.
Earlier this week Orkney became weak and lethargic, developed breathing issues, and was put to sleep Friday morning.
animal, san francisco zoo, san francisco news
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash 18 min ago
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Budget approved but no peace: Boehner raps right
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- Arrests made in "thrill kill" of 7-11 clerk in Milpitas
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that!
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions 40 min ago
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday 7 min ago
- roundup: High-speed chase; Vallejo homicides
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
9 min ago
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART,...
40 min ago