San Francisco News
Mirkarimi lawyer tries to move trial out of town
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi's attorney is trying to get his trial moved out of San Francisco.
The attorney for Mirkarimi, Lidia Stiglich, is trying to get his trial moved out of town and she filed the request Monday morning in Superior Court. Mirkarimi's lawyer is concerned about publicity in this case and now she has one more thing to worry about. The testimony of an ex-girlfriend of Mirkarimi's will be allowed in this case.
"You have the publicity, you have the unique facts of this case given his position in the community. You have pretty much an onslaught of [media] coverage to which the citizens of San Francisco are entitled, but he's also entitled to a fair trial," said Stiglich.
The prosecution must now respond to that motion. A hearing will later follow.
District Attorney George Gascon said a change of venue request is not common, but said he wants to make sure Mirkarimi gets a fair deal
"The first concern is that the defendant needs to have a fair trial and part of having a fair trial is to make sure we have a jury that is unbiased and if that's what it takes, then we'll do so," said Gascon.
ABC7's legal analyst Dean Johnson said the move is unusual especially in a misdemeanor case like this one.
"I think the chances of getting a change of venue are almost non-existent," said Johnson.
Mirkarimi faces three misdemeanor counts in connection with a Dec. 31 incident in which prosecutors say he bruised his wife's arm - Ileana Lopez- during an argument. Jury selection was supposed to continue Monday, but it was put off because of a number of pending hearings and motions.
One of those happened in the afternoon. In court Judge Garrett Wong decided to allow the testimony of Christina Flores, a former Mirkarimi girlfriend, who filed a police report claiming she too was abused. The defense asked that her testimony not be allowed because Flores filed the report only after Mirkarimi was charged on Jan. 13.
Because the change of venue motion was going on Monday afternoon, the jury selection was put on hold. It will continue first thing Tuesday morning.
ross mirkarimi, crime, trials, san francisco news, lyanne melendez
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro 33 min ago
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- BART makes no progress on contract talks
- What's next for Candlestick Point? 11 min ago
- Kitten stolen from San Francisco shelter
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to 30 min ago
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
11 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos