San Francisco News
Grey whale spotted in San Francisco Bay
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Beachgoers enjoyed a rare sight in the Bay Area Wednesday.
A grey whale was spotted swimming off Marina Green at around 12:30 p.m. Experts say the whale appears to be a full-grown gray.
Those who happened to be walking along the waterfront told ABC7 they were taken by surprise. "I have never seen one in the bay before," said Juliana Beach. "I've seen them off Ocean Beach, but I've never seen them in the bay."
The sighting is not that unusual. About 30 whales a year find their way into the bay, almost all of them in the spring as they head back to their arctic feeding grounds.
State law prohibits anyone from coming within 300 feet of a whale.
animal, san francisco bay, whale, san francisco news
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California 54 min ago
- Bay to Breakers draws thousands to San Francisco
- Two Powerball tickets in Calif. have 5 of 6 numbers 53 min ago
- Albany residents protest return of Occupy activists
- SF police ask for help in solving 2012 B2B homicide
- Suspicious package in Livermore prompts evacuation
- Shooting in Oakland kills 1, injures another
- Crews battle fire at inner Mission apartment building
- Milone's long skid ends as A's beat Royals
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- Teen dies after refusing to give iPad to thieves
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos