San Francisco News
Grey whale spotted in San Francisco Bay
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Beachgoers enjoyed a rare sight in the Bay Area Wednesday.
A grey whale was spotted swimming off Marina Green at around 12:30 p.m. Experts say the whale appears to be a full-grown gray.
Those who happened to be walking along the waterfront told ABC7 they were taken by surprise. "I have never seen one in the bay before," said Juliana Beach. "I've seen them off Ocean Beach, but I've never seen them in the bay."
The sighting is not that unusual. About 30 whales a year find their way into the bay, almost all of them in the spring as they head back to their arctic feeding grounds.
State law prohibits anyone from coming within 300 feet of a whale.
animal, san francisco bay, whale, san francisco news
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's nose bitten off 49 min ago
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar 40 min ago
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF 7 min ago
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Police conduct statewide underage drinking sting
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' tops box office
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday 23 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
19 min ago
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's...
49 min ago
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen...
40 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos