San Francisco News
Grey whale spotted in San Francisco Bay
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Beachgoers enjoyed a rare sight in the Bay Area Wednesday.
A grey whale was spotted swimming off Marina Green at around 12:30 p.m. Experts say the whale appears to be a full-grown gray.
Those who happened to be walking along the waterfront told ABC7 they were taken by surprise. "I have never seen one in the bay before," said Juliana Beach. "I've seen them off Ocean Beach, but I've never seen them in the bay."
The sighting is not that unusual. About 30 whales a year find their way into the bay, almost all of them in the spring as they head back to their arctic feeding grounds.
State law prohibits anyone from coming within 300 feet of a whale.
animal, san francisco bay, whale, san francisco news
- Manager reveals details of teen's stowaway survival
- Man punches neighbor whose house caught on fire
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- Pedestrian critically injured in accident in SF
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Images released of shipwreck in San Francisco Bay 30 min ago
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week
- Young Oakland boy shot in the eye with paintball gun
- Pair sets record with BASE jump off world's... 8 min ago
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- South Korea ferry toll hits 156 as search gets tougher
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan