San Francisco News
Grey whale spotted in San Francisco Bay
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Beachgoers enjoyed a rare sight in the Bay Area Wednesday.
A grey whale was spotted swimming off Marina Green at around 12:30 p.m. Experts say the whale appears to be a full-grown gray.
Those who happened to be walking along the waterfront told ABC7 they were taken by surprise. "I have never seen one in the bay before," said Juliana Beach. "I've seen them off Ocean Beach, but I've never seen them in the bay."
The sighting is not that unusual. About 30 whales a year find their way into the bay, almost all of them in the spring as they head back to their arctic feeding grounds.
State law prohibits anyone from coming within 300 feet of a whale.
animal, san francisco bay, whale, san francisco news
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake 5 min ago
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker
- Doctors: 10-month-old girl won't survive abuse injuries
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- Police investigating shooting in Richmond 45 min ago
- 6 Nepalese guides dead, 9 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Student with Down syndrome accepted to college
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: DUI crash; Antioch teen killed