San Francisco News
Grey whale spotted in San Francisco Bay
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Beachgoers enjoyed a rare sight in the Bay Area Wednesday.
A grey whale was spotted swimming off Marina Green at around 12:30 p.m. Experts say the whale appears to be a full-grown gray.
Those who happened to be walking along the waterfront told ABC7 they were taken by surprise. "I have never seen one in the bay before," said Juliana Beach. "I've seen them off Ocean Beach, but I've never seen them in the bay."
The sighting is not that unusual. About 30 whales a year find their way into the bay, almost all of them in the spring as they head back to their arctic feeding grounds.
State law prohibits anyone from coming within 300 feet of a whale.
animal, san francisco bay, whale, san francisco news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro 47 min ago
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- BART makes no progress on contract talks
- What's next for Candlestick Point? 5 min ago
- Kitten stolen from San Francisco shelter
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to 44 min ago
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
5 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos