San Francisco News
Missing SF bicyclist found dead in Death Valley
DEATH VALLEY -- A San Francisco bicyclist who was reported missing last week in Death Valley National Park was found dead Tuesday, a local sheriff's spokeswoman said.
George Kohler, 67, had last been seen around 8 p.m. on March 12 at a campfire with members of his bicycle tour group at the Mesquite Spring campground, according to the Inyo County Sheriff's Department.
Other members of the group said Kohler left the campfire saying he was tired, and did not meet up the next morning with the rest of the group. Group members opened up his tent and did not find him or any indication that he had slept there, sheriff's officials said.
Rescuers began searching the area last week, and Kohler was found dead late Tuesday afternoon between the Mesquite Spring campground and Scotty's Castle Road in the national park, sheriff's spokeswoman Carma Roper said.
"It appears that Mr. Kohler left the campfire and took off cross-county on foot," sheriff's search-and-rescue coordinator Cpl. Terry Waterbury said in a statement. "This is a very tragic situation."
Foul play is not suspected in the death. An autopsy has been scheduled with the Inyo County coroner to determine Kohler's cause of death.
san francisco news
- Occupy the Farm protesters returning to Albany land
- Two men shot, killed on I-880 in Oakland ID'd
- Konig wins 7th stage, van Garderen retains lead 48 min ago
- Free dental care offered at SJ Convention Center
- Teen dies after refusing to give iPad to thieves 18 min ago
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness 44 min ago
- San Jose Sharks fined $100,000 for GM's comments
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- Plan to cut down trees in East Bay Hills under review
- Police say realignment may be cause of crime spike
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 40 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
40 min ago