San Francisco News
Woman attacked in alleged hate crime on Muni
SAN FRANCISCO -- A female suspect is being sought for an alleged hate crime attack against a woman aboard a San Francisco Municipal Railway bus in the city's Potrero Hill neighborhood on Tuesday afternoon, police said.
The attack was reported at 1:50 p.m. Tuesday near De Haro Street and Southern Heights Avenue.
Officers arrived to find the 26-year-old victim still seated on the bus, visibly shaken, according to police.
The victim said she was in her seat when the suspect suddenly punched and kicked her several times, police said.
The bus driver intervened and ordered the suspect off the bus. She loitered in the area for a while but fled before officers arrived, according to police.
The victim told police she heard the suspect make remarks about her race.
A witness corroborated the victim's story, and said that when he asked the suspect why she had attacked the victim, the suspect said it was because of the difference in their races.
The victim refused medical treatment at the scene. Surveillance video from the bus is being used in the investigation of the attack, which is being treated as a hate crime.
Police believe they know the suspect's identity but have not released her name. They are working to obtain a warrant for her arrest.
Anyone with information about the case is encouraged to call the Police Department's Bayview Station at (415) 671-2300, the department's anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444 or send a tip by text message to TIP411.
potrero hill, crime, muni, san francisco news
- Freeze Warning remains in effect across Bay Area
- World mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Shelter-in-place advisory lifted for Pittsburg residents
- Multi-vehicle crash blocking lanes on Bay Bridge 58 min ago
- Speeding driver rear-ends San Jose police officer
- US unemployment falls to 7 pct. on 203K jobs added
- Statewide AMBER Alert for Washington girl
- Bay Area mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Parents sound off on baby seat with iPad-holder
- Teens arrested for alleged gang rape near Richmond
- abcnews: 5 unexpected facts about Nelson Mandela
- roundup: Hate crime task force; Suspect fatally shot
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos