San Francisco News
Woman attacked in alleged hate crime on Muni
SAN FRANCISCO -- A female suspect is being sought for an alleged hate crime attack against a woman aboard a San Francisco Municipal Railway bus in the city's Potrero Hill neighborhood on Tuesday afternoon, police said.
The attack was reported at 1:50 p.m. Tuesday near De Haro Street and Southern Heights Avenue.
Officers arrived to find the 26-year-old victim still seated on the bus, visibly shaken, according to police.
The victim said she was in her seat when the suspect suddenly punched and kicked her several times, police said.
The bus driver intervened and ordered the suspect off the bus. She loitered in the area for a while but fled before officers arrived, according to police.
The victim told police she heard the suspect make remarks about her race.
A witness corroborated the victim's story, and said that when he asked the suspect why she had attacked the victim, the suspect said it was because of the difference in their races.
The victim refused medical treatment at the scene. Surveillance video from the bus is being used in the investigation of the attack, which is being treated as a hate crime.
Police believe they know the suspect's identity but have not released her name. They are working to obtain a warrant for her arrest.
Anyone with information about the case is encouraged to call the Police Department's Bayview Station at (415) 671-2300, the department's anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444 or send a tip by text message to TIP411.
potrero hill, crime, muni, san francisco news
- Boy's body found at the bottom of a canal in Antioch 11 min ago
- Search on for man who went missing after B2B race 57 min ago
- Hundreds of food workers strike at AT&T Park in SF 59 min ago
- Sharks look to extend series vs. Kings to 7th game
- Elderly woman with Alzheimer's missing in Palo Alto
- UK police arrest 3 more men in soldier's slaying
- PG&E disputes record fine for San Bruno blast
- San Francisco man with brain injury missing
- Millions march against Monsanto in over 400 cities
- Wildfire near Interstate 580 in Livermore now contained 52 min ago
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- abcnews: How to stay safe at amusement parks
- roundup: Machete murder; PG&E fights fine
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday