San Francisco News
Kids from Benioff Children's Hospital enjoy prom
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Some amazing kids danced the night away at their prom Friday night. There was music, food, photos -- everything you would expect -- only this prom was held at UCSF's Benioff Children's Hospital.
These are kids who have medical conditions that prevent them from living a life like other kids, so going to prom isn't something they would normally get a chance to do.
"It's really special. I don't get to do this very often and none of us really get to dress up that often, so it's fun to have a place to dress up. I think that's like the big thing for me," said Rachel Hale, 18.
Hale has an illness that affects her small intestines and she once had to be in the hospital for four months. So she's home-schooled, which would normally mean no prom.
But thanks to the hospital and Banana Republic, which donated $50,000 worth of clothes for the kids, Hale and all her hospital friends got to experience the magic of prom night.
children, san francisco news
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean 28 min ago
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US 51 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 49ers Jim Harbaugh ready for start of free agency
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward 10 min ago
- MasterCard, Visa plan group focused on security
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California! 24 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case