San Francisco News
Suspect arrested in Golden Gate Park beating death
SAN FRANCISCO -- A man has been arrested on suspicion of robbing and killing another man in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park last Friday, a police spokesman said Thursday.
Marcus Herrera, 23, was arrested Sunday on suspicion of killing 55-year-old Robert Musial, who was found by police officers around 7:20 p.m. Friday.
The officers were responding to a request for a well-being check on a man who had been asking for help near Sharon Art Studio in the park, police spokesman Sgt. Mike Andraychak said.
Musial appeared to be experiencing a medical emergency, and lost consciousness before an ambulance arrived. Emergency crews tried to revive him but he was pronounced dead at the scene, Andraychak said.
A preliminary autopsy by the medical examiner's office indicated that Musial had suffered blunt-force injuries, and the case was ruled a homicide, according to Andraychak.
Herrera was identified as a suspect in the case and was brought to the San Francisco Hall of Justice for questioning. He was subsequently arrested on suspicion of homicide, robbery and assault with a deadly weapon, Andraychak said.
Investigators believe other people in the park witnessed the crime, and are asking anyone with information about it to call police Sgt. John Burke at (415) 553-1145.
People wishing to remain anonymous are encouraged to call the Police Department's anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444 or send a tip by text message to TIP411.
crime, murder, golden gate park, san francisco news
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- Three evacuated from house fire in Kentfield
- Report: Corrosion a problem on new Bay Bridge
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Brush fire at Joaquin Miller Park in Oakland
- 1 dead, 2 injured from East Palo Alto shooting
- Man falls from building during Bay to Breakers party
- Startups use Netflix rental model for clothing, jewelry 13 min ago
- Tornado levels homes in Oklahoma City trailer park
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Small Fla. city wonders who won Powerball jackpot
- abcnews: SEAL auctions bin Laden raid knife
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
2 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos