San Francisco News
Suspect arrested in Golden Gate Park beating death
SAN FRANCISCO -- A man has been arrested on suspicion of robbing and killing another man in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park last Friday, a police spokesman said Thursday.
Marcus Herrera, 23, was arrested Sunday on suspicion of killing 55-year-old Robert Musial, who was found by police officers around 7:20 p.m. Friday.
The officers were responding to a request for a well-being check on a man who had been asking for help near Sharon Art Studio in the park, police spokesman Sgt. Mike Andraychak said.
Musial appeared to be experiencing a medical emergency, and lost consciousness before an ambulance arrived. Emergency crews tried to revive him but he was pronounced dead at the scene, Andraychak said.
A preliminary autopsy by the medical examiner's office indicated that Musial had suffered blunt-force injuries, and the case was ruled a homicide, according to Andraychak.
Herrera was identified as a suspect in the case and was brought to the San Francisco Hall of Justice for questioning. He was subsequently arrested on suspicion of homicide, robbery and assault with a deadly weapon, Andraychak said.
Investigators believe other people in the park witnessed the crime, and are asking anyone with information about it to call police Sgt. John Burke at (415) 553-1145.
People wishing to remain anonymous are encouraged to call the Police Department's anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444 or send a tip by text message to TIP411.
crime, murder, golden gate park, san francisco news
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 15 min ago
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...