San Francisco News
Mayor Ed Lee celebrates 60th birthday
SAN FRANCISCO -- Saturday is more than Cinco de Mayo, it's also San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee's 60th birthday.
To properly celebrate his birthday the mayor has asked residents to give back to the community.
The best birthday gift, according to Lee, would be supporting San Francisco, whether it be by shopping at locally-owned businesses; volunteering at one of the city's many organizations; or getting prepared for the next big earthquake.
Since 60 is a major birthday Lee has asked people to keep the number in mind, perhaps by volunteering for 60 minutes at the food bank, animal shelter or any other nonprofit.
With this weekend's sunny weather, the mayor also suggested honoring his birthday by biking for 60 minutes or miles and forgoing the car. To travel in true San Francisco style, the mayor suggests riding Muni for the next 60 days instead of driving.
For the full list of 60 ideas to celebrate Lee's 60th, visit sfgov.org/60thingstodo.
The mayor's office is asking people to tweet their activities on Twitter by using the hashtag #60thingstodo.
ed lee, san francisco news
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos