San Francisco News
Mayor Ed Lee celebrates 60th birthday
SAN FRANCISCO -- Saturday is more than Cinco de Mayo, it's also San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee's 60th birthday.
To properly celebrate his birthday the mayor has asked residents to give back to the community.
The best birthday gift, according to Lee, would be supporting San Francisco, whether it be by shopping at locally-owned businesses; volunteering at one of the city's many organizations; or getting prepared for the next big earthquake.
Since 60 is a major birthday Lee has asked people to keep the number in mind, perhaps by volunteering for 60 minutes at the food bank, animal shelter or any other nonprofit.
With this weekend's sunny weather, the mayor also suggested honoring his birthday by biking for 60 minutes or miles and forgoing the car. To travel in true San Francisco style, the mayor suggests riding Muni for the next 60 days instead of driving.
For the full list of 60 ideas to celebrate Lee's 60th, visit sfgov.org/60thingstodo.
The mayor's office is asking people to tweet their activities on Twitter by using the hashtag #60thingstodo.
ed lee, san francisco news
- Mudslide causes trees on power lines in Piedmont
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Consumer Reports cracks which eggs to buy
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Sonoma County fire burns garage and cars
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12
- Man found fatally shot in Concord
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday 59 min ago
- roundup: Berkeley fire estimate; Mount Tam body
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
39 min ago