San Francisco News
Edwin Ramos found guilty of 2008 triple murder
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Edwin Ramos was found guilty Wednesday of three counts of first degree murder for the 2008 murders of Tony Bologna and two of his sons.
Ramos, an alleged gang member, was accused of shooting Bologna, 48, and his sons Michael, 20, and Matthew, 16, after mistaking them for rival gang members in the Excelsior District of San Francisco on June 22, 2008.
Bologna's teenage son Andrew was also on the car that day. He was not injured and testified as the prosecution's star witness. He identified Ramos as the shooter.
Ramos claims another gang member in his car fired the gun and that he never knew there would be a shooting.
There were audible gasps and crying in the courtroom as the guilty verdicts were read Wednesday afternoon.
"This justice today does not bring my family back, but it helps a little," Anthony Bologna's sister Lorraine Kennedy said.
After the verdict was announced, Ramos' attorney Marla Zamora release a statement saying, "We are surprised that the jury could not agree on whether Mr. Ramos actually fired the gun, yet still chose to convict on first degree murder. Justice has not been delivered to the City of San Francisco nor the victims so long as the killer, Wilfredo Reyes, is still on the streets."
Ramos was also found guilty of one count of attempted murder.
shooting, crime, trials, murder, ramos trial, gang violence, san francisco news, mark matthews
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday