San Francisco News
Fire starts in Kokkari Estiatorio flue
SAN FRANCISCO -- A fire that started in the flue of a restaurant in San Francisco's Financial District this afternoon has been extinguished, a fire department spokeswoman said.
The fire was reported at 1:22 p.m. on the ground floor of a three-story building near the intersection of Jackson and Front streets.
Yong Chong, an employee at Cafe Insalata, said smoke was coming from a restaurant across the street, Kokkari Estiatorio, located at 200 Jackson St.
Fire department spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said the flue runs all the way to the top of the building, and although firefighters also found fire in the flue space on the top floor, the flames did not extend into the building.
The blaze was extinguished at 2:04 p.m., she said.
The building was safely evacuated while crews fought the fire, and no injuries have been reported, Talmadge said.
fire, financial district, san francisco news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin
- Car crashes into San Jose home this morning 2 min ago
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal
- '628' area code to begin in '415' region in 2015
- VIRAL VIDEO: Oscars® Trailer: Ellen... 5 min ago
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos