San Francisco News
Gold Dust Lounge closing, but hoping to move
SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco's Gold Dust Lounge, the Union Square drinking establishment that is being evicted from its current Powell Street home, is closing Wednesday night.
But not forever, according to Lee Houskeeper, a publicist for the bar.
The bar's owners, James and Tasios Bovis, plan to recreate the Gold Dust Lounge piece by piece in a larger space in Fisherman's Wharf, he said.
Houskeeper said he cannot yet disclose the exact location, for which a lease is still in the works.
He said "we don't expect a problem," but said he could not say exactly where it will be until the ink on the lease dries, which he hopes will happen before an afternoon news conference scheduled for Wednesday, he said.
"There's a lot of moving parts," Houskeeper said.
Work to be done includes stripping the existing space of its furnishings and decorations and reinstalling the items in the new space.
The process, which will get under way Thursday, is expected to take about four months, according to Houskeeper.
"I think people are grateful that the place is going to exist ... and that the Bovises are going to spend all this time to recreate the thing that they love," Houskeeper said of the bar's loyal patrons.
Fans of the establishment created a grassroots movement in support of the bar that ultimately failed to keep it in its current location.
In the meantime, Houskeeper said, the Bovis family will set up a temporary Gold Dust Lounge in a back room at Lefty O'Doul's, which it also owns.
union square, fisherman's wharf, san francisco news
- Malaysia says jet's disappearance was deliberate
- Woman found dead in Castro Valley home was shot 37 min ago
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Investigators finally getting look at Mission Bay fire
- Man fatally stuck by Caltrain near Atherton station 11 min ago
- Police arrest woman in connection with shooting
- Crews control one-alarm house fire in Antioch 30 min ago
- I-TEAM: Small park, big problems
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos