San Francisco News
Gold Dust Lounge closing, but hoping to move
SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco's Gold Dust Lounge, the Union Square drinking establishment that is being evicted from its current Powell Street home, is closing Wednesday night.
But not forever, according to Lee Houskeeper, a publicist for the bar.
The bar's owners, James and Tasios Bovis, plan to recreate the Gold Dust Lounge piece by piece in a larger space in Fisherman's Wharf, he said.
Houskeeper said he cannot yet disclose the exact location, for which a lease is still in the works.
He said "we don't expect a problem," but said he could not say exactly where it will be until the ink on the lease dries, which he hopes will happen before an afternoon news conference scheduled for Wednesday, he said.
"There's a lot of moving parts," Houskeeper said.
Work to be done includes stripping the existing space of its furnishings and decorations and reinstalling the items in the new space.
The process, which will get under way Thursday, is expected to take about four months, according to Houskeeper.
"I think people are grateful that the place is going to exist ... and that the Bovises are going to spend all this time to recreate the thing that they love," Houskeeper said of the bar's loyal patrons.
Fans of the establishment created a grassroots movement in support of the bar that ultimately failed to keep it in its current location.
In the meantime, Houskeeper said, the Bovis family will set up a temporary Gold Dust Lounge in a back room at Lefty O'Doul's, which it also owns.
union square, fisherman's wharf, san francisco news
- SJ store owner get $1M for selling winning ticket 26 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist
- Georgia woman has 1 of 2 winning lottery tickets 28 min ago
- Food bank hands out hundreds of hams to families
- Wonder Girl to take on Vallejo after Batkid saved SF
- Weather to help crews battling Big Sur blaze
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Stolen ATM recovered; SF shooting 16 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday