San Francisco News
Last minute details of Golden Gate anniversary
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The Golden Gate Bridge turns 75 with a big party this weekend. Temporary closures will cause traffic problems during the main events on Sunday.
The events celebrating the 75th anniversary will take place from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Sunday. There will be no parking at the Marina Green and Fort Point. People will move need to move their cars out of lots no later than midnight on Saturday going into Sunday.
The setup is already underway on the Marina Green with tents and stages and lots of porta-potties - tens of thousands of people are expected.
There will be a partial temporary closure of the bridge because of fireworks show at 9:30 p.m. The bridge will be closed to pedestrians and bicyclists starting at 6 p.m. and vehicles at 9 p.m. until after the fireworks show. If you are coming in from Marin, Alexander Road will be closed to vehicles starting at 6 p.m.
"It's difficult, because it is the 75th anniversary, it is an exciting time for us and it will be difficult to get to the event, but we hope that everyone takes the time, plans ahead, call 511, go to GoldenGateBridge75.org, go to the BART site, go to the various transit sites, and make your plans now," said Golden Gate Bridge Spokeswoman Mary Currie.
Additional events will include:
- A vintage maritime display and watercraft parade from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Saint Francis Yacht Club
- There will vintage car parade from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at east Crissy Field
- An artists' exhibition from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. at Fort Point
- Music and dance all day on two stages at Crissy Field and Marina Green
golden gate bridge, san francisco news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro 57 min ago
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- BART makes no progress on contract talks
- What's next for Candlestick Point? 15 min ago
- Kitten stolen from San Francisco shelter
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to 54 min ago
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
15 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos