San Francisco News
Veterans set off on cross-country bike ride
A group of veterans is cycling from San Francisco to Virginia Beach, a 4,000 mile, 68 day trip.
Army Specialist Seth Arseneau lost the use of his legs serving his country.
"I have a spinal cord injury in my lower back," Arseneau said.
But he was a cyclist before that and sees no reason to not be a cyclist now.
"Fortunately there is options of hand cycles to kind of keep cycling," he said.
He's one of 21 wounded soldiers undertaking this incredible feat. Two others are blind and riding tandem and still others have traumatic brain injuries. They're not doing it to raise money, but spirits.
"People serving our country are just like everyone else; whether they are able bodied, whether they are disabled, they may have lost a leg, they haven't lost their hearts, they haven't lost their minds, they haven't lost the soul to be great Americans," World Team Sports Founder Jim Benson said.
"There are so many people who have made so many sacrifices; whether it be with their lives, or with their limbs. A lot of the people on the ride have lost limbs and parts of their lives and it's great for people to keep that in mind, just because in everyday life, you don't encounter those people that make sacrifices, but some of them will on this ride," Arseneau said.
crissy field, army, military, navy, air force, marines, memorial day, bikes, san francisco news
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos