San Francisco News
WWII vet gets benefits fixed after complaints of backlog at VA
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (KGO) -- This Memorial Day, President Barack Obama made a promise to America's veterans, saying, "As long as I'm president, we will make sure you and your loved ones receive the benefits you've earned and the respect you deserve." They are words that many hope he will truly deliver on.
Jake Ventrello, 93, was with hundreds of other veterans at a meeting last Monday called by Rep. Jackie Speier, D-Calif., and Rep. Barbara Lee, D-Calif., to help them get their overdue benefit claims.
Ventrello fought in World War II. He was a decorated soldier.
Family friend June Cantor accompanied Ventrello to the meeting. They have been trying to get the Department of Veterans Affairs' Oakland office to raise his disability to 100 percent. They've waged a frustrating battle for a year and a half.
"Nobody knows nothing, nobody can give you any answers, you just get this runaround and runaround," Cantor said.
A government audit found that veterans are waiting an average 320 days for the Oakland office to process their claims.
At the meeting, Cantor told a VA official just how frustrating it has been. His response was "I sincerely apologize. I'm here to tell you, we're going to fix it."
Suddenly on Friday, Speier's office, which has been helping Ventrello, called to give him the good news.
"That his claim had been granted for everything that we asked for, so that was great," Cantor said.
The Memorial Day party at his home turned into a celebration as well, for his hard won victory.
Still, Ventrello and his wife Kathleen worry about all the young veterans who have long pending claims.
"After waiting all these years, it's not fair to leave them behind," Ventrello said.
"Look at all these people coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan," Ventrello's wife said. "What is their outlook? And it just has to be fixed.
They say it's unfair for veterans to have to fight two wars.
veterans, memorial day, jackie speier, barbara lee, military, san francisco news, vic lee
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro 7 min ago
- San Jose man charged in two violent sexual assaults 11 min ago
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- BART makes no progress on contract talks
- What's next for Candlestick Point? 54 min ago
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
54 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos