San Francisco News
9-year-old swims from Alcatraz to Crissy Field
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- While many people slept in this Memorial Day, some hearty souls woke up before dawn to take a little swim in the frigid waters of San Francisco Bay.
Almost 400 swimmers put up with the 55 degree water and the large swells to swim from Alcatraz to Crissy Field, a 1.5 mile water trek.
Among the group was 9-year-old Jordan Freer. She could be the youngest female to ever swim from Alcatraz.
"We were off on our own and one of the kayaks came up and told us we were exactly where we should be and everybody else was in the wrong spot, so we felt pretty good about that," Jordan's dad Tom Freer said. "And we just kept aiming for the gold dome."
Jordan says the scariest part of the swim was jumping off the boat near Alcatraz.
She made the swim in about 45 minutes -- faster than many adults.
alcatraz, crissy field, san francisco bay, san francisco news
- 6.9 quake rattles off the Northern California coast 28 min ago
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires 12 min ago
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos