San Francisco News
9-year-old swims from Alcatraz to Crissy Field
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- While many people slept in this Memorial Day, some hearty souls woke up before dawn to take a little swim in the frigid waters of San Francisco Bay.
Almost 400 swimmers put up with the 55 degree water and the large swells to swim from Alcatraz to Crissy Field, a 1.5 mile water trek.
Among the group was 9-year-old Jordan Freer. She could be the youngest female to ever swim from Alcatraz.
"We were off on our own and one of the kayaks came up and told us we were exactly where we should be and everybody else was in the wrong spot, so we felt pretty good about that," Jordan's dad Tom Freer said. "And we just kept aiming for the gold dome."
Jordan says the scariest part of the swim was jumping off the boat near Alcatraz.
She made the swim in about 45 minutes -- faster than many adults.
alcatraz, crissy field, san francisco bay, san francisco news
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 36
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Crews search for person after boat accident in Brentwood 58 min ago
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Brother of man killed by drunk driver throws first pitch 8 min ago
- Young Oakland woman dies at Coachella music fest
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter 35 min ago
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday