San Francisco News
Memorial held for fallen San Francisco firefighters
raw video: SF firefighters funeral procession
raw video: SF firefighters funeral, Pt. 1
raw video: SF firefighters funeral, Pt. 2
raw video: SF firefighters funeral, Pt. 3
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco firefighters honored on Saturday two of their own who died in the line of duty last year.
Lieutenant Vincent Perez and firefighter Anthony Valerio died fighting a house fire that started one year ago in the city's Diamond Heights District.
Firefighters held a public memorial Saturday morning at Station 26, just blocks from the fire, and where both men worked.
Fire officials blame the men's deaths on a flashover, a sudden flare up of heat caused when a window at the home shattered, sending a rush of oxygen to the flames.
Plaques in honor of Perez and Valerio were dedicated at the station, as well as a memorial garden there that was paid for by local businesses.
sffd, san francisco news
- Fatal crash closes WB I-580 lanes in Livermore 11 min ago
- Antioch man arrested after wild, high-speed chase 13 min ago
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- Consumer Reports puts AA batteries to the test
- BART and unions to meet today over contract
- San Jose fire crews battle one-alarm house fire
- 32 students participating in 'shop with a cop' event
- Gridlock in the Senate, progress in the House
- OTRC: Golden Globes 2014: Full list of nominations
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: Robbery suspect shot; BART dispute
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Inside look at SF Ballet's 'Nutcracker'
8 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos