San Francisco News
Winds uncover old headstones at Ocean Beach
SAN FRANCISCO -- Recent coastal winds have uncovered long-forgotten headstones that were buried in the sand at San Francisco's Ocean Beach nearly a century ago, a U.S. Park Service spokeswoman said.
The city had removed several cemeteries early in the 20th century, and in the process of moving the graves to Colma -- known as the "city of souls" for its large deceased population -- many of the headstones were used as fill or crushed up and used for roads, National Park Service spokeswoman Alexandra Picavet said.
At Ocean Beach, unclaimed headstones were used to armor the beach to guard against erosion -- and with the recent wind that has blown sand off the beach and onto the Great Highway, a few of the headstones have become exposed, Picavet said.
The U.S. Park Service archeologist is aware of the uncovered pieces of San Francisco history, Picavet said, but staff has decided to leave the stones in place.
Colma Historical Society volunteer Bunny Gillespie said that in March 1900, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors voted to close all but two city cemeteries and relocated many graves to Colma.
In the transfer process, which began by 1914, some of the stones were wrecked, while others found more functional purposes, such as those at Ocean Beach, Gillespie said.
In 1891, there were 27 cemeteries within San Francisco city limits, according to the historical group's records.
ocean beach, wind, san francisco news
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday 27 min ago
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
25 min ago