San Francisco News

Man may have fallen into Bay after Giants game

Tuesday, June 26, 2012
Man may have fallen into Bay near Pier 30-32 after San Francisco Giants game Man may have fallen into Bay near Pier 30-32 after San Francisco Giants game Coast Guard search of San Francisco Bay

The search for a man who may have fallen into the SF Bay near Pier 30/32 after last night's Giants game has been called off.

It's a tragic ending to a game that ended with a great victory by the San Francisco Giants. Family members were present as divers went into the water Tuesday morning after an all-night search. In the darkness, a helicopter hovered above the bay with search lights while Coast Guard, police and fire personnel looked below trying to locate the 27-year-old man.

It all started around 11 p.m. Two baseball fans were parked in their car near the pier. One of them was on his cell phone when the other got out of the car, walked out on the pier, and simply disappeared. When he never came back, his friend called 9-1-1, initiating a search.

It was presumed that he fell into the water. "The challenges are many. If the current is running fast, then he could've been pulled out quite a ways. When it's dark, it's very difficult to locate anybody," San Francisco Fire Department Lt. Mindy Talmadge told ABC7 News. "Now that they're going in the water, they may be able to get a better idea of if he could've gotten snagged on something."

The victim, from Sacramento, is described as a 27-year-old Hispanic male wearing a blue jacket, blue jeans, and a white shirt. So far, crews are searching from the Bay Bridge to Alcatraz but have found nothing so far.

Authorities said Tuesday morning that the search was now being called a recovery.

(Copyright ©2014 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Get more San Francisco News »

coast guard, sffd, search and rescue, los angeles dodgers, san francisco giants, at&t park, san francisco bay, SFPD, missing person, san francisco news, don sanchez
blog comments powered by Disqus