San Francisco News
Man may have fallen into Bay after Giants game
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The search for a man who may have fallen into the SF Bay near Pier 30/32 after last night's Giants game has been called off.
It's a tragic ending to a game that ended with a great victory by the San Francisco Giants. Family members were present as divers went into the water Tuesday morning after an all-night search. In the darkness, a helicopter hovered above the bay with search lights while Coast Guard, police and fire personnel looked below trying to locate the 27-year-old man.
It all started around 11 p.m. Two baseball fans were parked in their car near the pier. One of them was on his cell phone when the other got out of the car, walked out on the pier, and simply disappeared. When he never came back, his friend called 9-1-1, initiating a search.
It was presumed that he fell into the water. "The challenges are many. If the current is running fast, then he could've been pulled out quite a ways. When it's dark, it's very difficult to locate anybody," San Francisco Fire Department Lt. Mindy Talmadge told ABC7 News. "Now that they're going in the water, they may be able to get a better idea of if he could've gotten snagged on something."
The victim, from Sacramento, is described as a 27-year-old Hispanic male wearing a blue jacket, blue jeans, and a white shirt. So far, crews are searching from the Bay Bridge to Alcatraz but have found nothing so far.
Authorities said Tuesday morning that the search was now being called a recovery.
coast guard, sffd, search and rescue, los angeles dodgers, san francisco giants, at&t park, san francisco bay, SFPD, missing person, san francisco news, don sanchez
- Security heightened at 2013 Bay to Breakers in SF
- Report: Corrosion a problem on new Bay Bridge
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Woman suspected of starting brush fire arrested
- Man falls from building during Bay to Breakers party
- Tornado levels homes in Oklahoma City trailer park
- 2 men arrested in killing teen over iPad in Las Vegas
- Girl killed, parents hurt by shots fired into home
- Startups use Netflix rental model for clothing, jewelry
- Apps help protect your smartphone from snoops
- abcnews: SEAL auctions bin Laden raid knife
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos