San Francisco News
Lopez to testify in person at Mirkarimi ethics hearing
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The ABC7 News I-Team has confirmed that the wife of suspended San Francisco Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi will testify on his behalf in person.
Late Thursday Mirkarimi's defense team announced that Eliana Lopez will testify before the city's Ethics Commission July 18 or 19.
They had asked the city to pay for her roundtrip plane ticket, saying Mirkarimi had run out of money since being suspended without pay, but it now appears a group of private donors will pay for Lopez's flight.
Mirkarimi is trying to retain his job as sheriff after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor false imprisonment charge relating to a New Year's Eve domestic dispute with Lopez.
ABC7's Dan Noyes traveled to Venezuela in May to talk exclusively with Lopez.
ross mirkarimi, domestic violence, eliana lopez, ed lee, san francisco city hall, san francisco news
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday