San Francisco News
Bernal Heights beehives smashed
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Someone smashed several beehives in San Francisco's Bernal Heights neighborhood, killing hundreds, possibly thousands of bees.
The vandals struck at the Alemany Farm a couple weeks ago. Three colonies have been relocated; the last of the three colonies was removed Saturday. A group called SF Bee-Cause says the urban farm is pretty easily accessable by anyone, so there is a very good chance the bee hive vandals will not be caught.
The hives have been moved to the Hayes Valley Community Farm. It's an area that's enclosed by chain link fence, so there is some security.
The is a spot that has been attacked before. In fact, the bees were originally moved to the Alemany Farm because someone attacked the hives with pesticide in 2010. Bee keepers say they've maintained good relations with the Alemany Farm neighborhood, so they're surprised at the act of vandalism.
They figure hundreds, if not thousands, of bees died when someone hurled chunks of concrete at the hives.
"The force of the urbanite had actually knocked these five boxes off the bottom board and they were just sort of hanging because of the chain," Bee-Cause co-founder Karen Peteros said.
Two queens were killed in the attack, so the hives are now being rehabilitated.
A few hundred dollars in equimpment was destroyed and they lost out on about 80 pounds of honey, about $1,600 in product.
animal, animals in peril, vandalism, crime, san francisco news
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...