San Francisco News
Bernal Heights beehives smashed
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Someone smashed several beehives in San Francisco's Bernal Heights neighborhood, killing hundreds, possibly thousands of bees.
The vandals struck at the Alemany Farm a couple weeks ago. Three colonies have been relocated; the last of the three colonies was removed Saturday. A group called SF Bee-Cause says the urban farm is pretty easily accessable by anyone, so there is a very good chance the bee hive vandals will not be caught.
The hives have been moved to the Hayes Valley Community Farm. It's an area that's enclosed by chain link fence, so there is some security.
The is a spot that has been attacked before. In fact, the bees were originally moved to the Alemany Farm because someone attacked the hives with pesticide in 2010. Bee keepers say they've maintained good relations with the Alemany Farm neighborhood, so they're surprised at the act of vandalism.
They figure hundreds, if not thousands, of bees died when someone hurled chunks of concrete at the hives.
"The force of the urbanite had actually knocked these five boxes off the bottom board and they were just sort of hanging because of the chain," Bee-Cause co-founder Karen Peteros said.
Two queens were killed in the attack, so the hives are now being rehabilitated.
A few hundred dollars in equimpment was destroyed and they lost out on about 80 pounds of honey, about $1,600 in product.
animal, animals in peril, vandalism, crime, san francisco news
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro
- SF firefighters gain upper hand on Recology plant fire 34 min ago
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos