San Francisco News
Mayor Lee denies Mirkarimi perjury allegation
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee spoke out for the first time Monday about accusations he tried to use his political clout to find a new job for suspended Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi and then lied about it.
Lee suspended Mirkarimi after the sheriff pleaded guilty to domestic violence charges stemming from a dispute with his wife on New Year's Eve. San Francisco's Ethics Commission is now determining whether Mirkarimi can return to his job.
Mirkarimi's camp has accused Lee of trying to push the sheriff toward another job, either in government or the private sector.
"You know, I've told the truth to the Ethics Commission and I'll continue doing that if called upon," Lee said.
Mirkarimi's attorney plans to issue subpoenas to appear before the Ethics Commission for four people who say Lee consulted with them before he suspended the sheriff.
ross mirkarimi, domestic violence, eliana lopez, ed lee, san francisco city hall, san francisco news
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Posey, Lincecum lead San Francisco Giants to 4-3 win
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday