San Francisco News
Rec Center to be dedicated to Betty Ann Ong
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A Bay Area flight attendant is being honored this weekend for performing a heroic act during the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.
Workers are putting the finishing touches on the reconstructed Chinese Recreation Center in San Francisco. On Saturday, the center will officially be named after "Betty Ann Ong," a Chinatown native who was aboard one of the planes flown into the World Trade Center.
During the hijacking, she called an emergency line and relayed the seat numbers of the hijackers allowing authorities to identify them.
september 11th, chinatown, san francisco news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California 34 min ago
- Crews retrieving body that washed onto Lands End
- Death penalty sought in killing of girl at sleepover
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child
- Korean Air A380 hits 2 light poles at LA airport 25 min ago
- Military shell prompted evacuation of hundreds
- Water supply flushed after teen urinates into reservoir
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch