San Francisco News
Man shot by police after slashing coworker dies
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco police fatally shot a suspect who went after his co-worker with a box cutter Wednesday morning near the Ferry Building.
It all started at the TCHO chocolate factory at Pier 17. San Francisco Police Chief Greg Suhr says a 30-year-old man armed with a box-cutter slashed a co-worker. "The employee, that was cleaning machines at the time, raised his arm to block the slash. It cut him pretty good on the arm," he said.
The victim left a bloody trail as he followed his attacker who walked south along the Embarcadero. Police encountered the suspect near Washington and Davis streets and tried to talk to him. "The suspect was non-responsive, just kept on walking," Suhr said. Suhr says officers then tried to stop him as he was heading into the crowds at the Embarcadero Center. "He produced the box cutter-type razor knife, lunged at the officers. She fired two shots. The suspect went down on his stomach. The officers handcuffed him, not understanding if the fight was still going to be on. When they rolled him over, they saw that he had been shot twice. They immediately un-handcuffed him," Suhr said.
Police and paramedics performed CPR at the scene before an ambulance took him to San Francisco General Hospital in critical condition. The suspect underwent emergency surgery but ultimately succumbed to his injuries. The victim of the slashing was treated and released. He told investigators he did not know why he was attacked and that it was totally unprovoked.
SFPD, financial district, crime, shooting, san francisco news, vic lee
- Campbell police seek witnesses in fatal stabbing 18 min ago
- 4.4 earthquake strikes Southern California
- Obama announces sanctions on Russian officials 34 min ago
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Fashion designer L'Wren Scott found dead in NY
- Man fatally struck by train in Berkeley this morning
- Putin declares Crimea 'sovereign and independent' 33 min ago
- Jet search expands north, south; mystery persists 43 min ago
- Police search for clues in fatal Concord hit-and-run 41 min ago
- Marijuana grow found at San Jose house fire
- GM recalls 1.18 million SUVs for air bag problem
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- Jet search expands north, south; mystery...
43 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos