San Francisco News
Man shot by police after slashing coworker dies
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco police fatally shot a suspect who went after his co-worker with a box cutter Wednesday morning near the Ferry Building.
It all started at the TCHO chocolate factory at Pier 17. San Francisco Police Chief Greg Suhr says a 30-year-old man armed with a box-cutter slashed a co-worker. "The employee, that was cleaning machines at the time, raised his arm to block the slash. It cut him pretty good on the arm," he said.
The victim left a bloody trail as he followed his attacker who walked south along the Embarcadero. Police encountered the suspect near Washington and Davis streets and tried to talk to him. "The suspect was non-responsive, just kept on walking," Suhr said. Suhr says officers then tried to stop him as he was heading into the crowds at the Embarcadero Center. "He produced the box cutter-type razor knife, lunged at the officers. She fired two shots. The suspect went down on his stomach. The officers handcuffed him, not understanding if the fight was still going to be on. When they rolled him over, they saw that he had been shot twice. They immediately un-handcuffed him," Suhr said.
Police and paramedics performed CPR at the scene before an ambulance took him to San Francisco General Hospital in critical condition. The suspect underwent emergency surgery but ultimately succumbed to his injuries. The victim of the slashing was treated and released. He told investigators he did not know why he was attacked and that it was totally unprovoked.
SFPD, financial district, crime, shooting, san francisco news, vic lee
- SF officials prepare for 102nd Bay to Breakers race
- 8th stage of Amgen Tour of California kicks off in SF
- Albany residents protest return of Occupy activists
- Suspicious package in Livermore prompts evacuation
- Shooting in Oakland kills 1, injures another
- Crews battle fire at inner Mission apartment building 25 min ago
- Milone's long skid ends as A's beat Royals
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- Teen dies after refusing to give iPad to thieves
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 46 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
38 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos