San Francisco News
Man shot by police after slashing coworker dies
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco police fatally shot a suspect who went after his co-worker with a box cutter Wednesday morning near the Ferry Building.
It all started at the TCHO chocolate factory at Pier 17. San Francisco Police Chief Greg Suhr says a 30-year-old man armed with a box-cutter slashed a co-worker. "The employee, that was cleaning machines at the time, raised his arm to block the slash. It cut him pretty good on the arm," he said.
The victim left a bloody trail as he followed his attacker who walked south along the Embarcadero. Police encountered the suspect near Washington and Davis streets and tried to talk to him. "The suspect was non-responsive, just kept on walking," Suhr said. Suhr says officers then tried to stop him as he was heading into the crowds at the Embarcadero Center. "He produced the box cutter-type razor knife, lunged at the officers. She fired two shots. The suspect went down on his stomach. The officers handcuffed him, not understanding if the fight was still going to be on. When they rolled him over, they saw that he had been shot twice. They immediately un-handcuffed him," Suhr said.
Police and paramedics performed CPR at the scene before an ambulance took him to San Francisco General Hospital in critical condition. The suspect underwent emergency surgery but ultimately succumbed to his injuries. The victim of the slashing was treated and released. He told investigators he did not know why he was attacked and that it was totally unprovoked.
SFPD, financial district, crime, shooting, san francisco news, vic lee
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...