San Francisco News
Man arrested for DUI after crashing into cable car
SAN FRANCISCO -- A man was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence after allegedly causing a head-on collision with a cable car near Union Square on Wednesday night, police said.
The 62-year-old man was driving a blue SUV that struck the San Francisco Municipal Railway cable car at Geary and Powell streets at about 10 p.m., according to police.
Bystanders detained the man until officers arrived and arrested him on suspicion of DUI, police said. His name had not been released as of this morning.
The cable car operator, a 43-year-old man, was taken to a hospital after complaining of pain to his shoulder, police spokesman Officer Albie Esparza said.
Muni spokesman Paul Rose said there were about 15 passengers on the cable car but that the employee was the only one injured.
Rose said the cable car line was reopened later that night.
union square, san francisco news
- Bay to Breakers draws thousands to San Francisco
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Two Powerball tickets in Calif. have 5 of 6 numbers
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Man falls from building during Bay to Breakers party 6 min ago
- Fremont roadway closed after car strikes utility pole
- Emergency officials monitor Wichita-area tornado
- Nicasio lifts Rockies to 5-0 win over Giants 49 min ago
- Cespedes homer helps A's complete sweep of Royals
- 2 men arrested in killing teen over iPad in Las Vegas
- Girl killed, parents hurt by shots fired into home
- abcnews: SEAL auctions bin Laden raid knife
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos