San Francisco News
Man arrested for DUI after crashing into cable car
SAN FRANCISCO -- A man was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence after allegedly causing a head-on collision with a cable car near Union Square on Wednesday night, police said.
The 62-year-old man was driving a blue SUV that struck the San Francisco Municipal Railway cable car at Geary and Powell streets at about 10 p.m., according to police.
Bystanders detained the man until officers arrived and arrested him on suspicion of DUI, police said. His name had not been released as of this morning.
The cable car operator, a 43-year-old man, was taken to a hospital after complaining of pain to his shoulder, police spokesman Officer Albie Esparza said.
Muni spokesman Paul Rose said there were about 15 passengers on the cable car but that the employee was the only one injured.
Rose said the cable car line was reopened later that night.
union square, san francisco news
- 6.9 quake rattles off the Northern California coast
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires 44 min ago
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Little progress made in search for missing...
13 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos