San Francisco News
SFFD warns of recent scam attempts
SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco Fire Department officials Thursday warned residents of scam attempts made recently using the name of the fire department.
In one case, a business owner reported receiving a phone call from someone claiming he was raising money for a San Francisco Fire Department yearbook.
After the owner agreed to pay $195, a package came in the mail with a $195 collect-on-delivery fee and no return address. The merchant called the fire department and found out the fundraising effort was not legitimate and refused to receive the package, fire officials said.
Another resident reported receiving an email claiming that, on behalf of the San Francisco Fire Department, he had been issued a $1,000 Visa gift card free of charge.
The email instructed the man to go to a website to claim his prize and said there was a very short window of time for him to be able to complete the transaction.
The man also called the fire department before participating and found out the offer was not legitimate, fire spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said.
The fire department "does not engage in any form of solicitation," Talmadge said. "We do not reach out to the community, in person, by email, U.S. mail or by phone, to raise money for anything."
Before donating or giving personal information to someone claiming to be from the fire department, officials urge residents to call the department at (415) 558-3403.
sffd, fire, scam, san francisco news
- Two dead after apartment building fire in SF
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped
- Local teen gets Bryan Cranston's help in promposal
- BART unveils new train car design in SF 21 min ago
- Woman struck by cab in downtown San Francisco
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side 36 min ago
- Mandatory water cutbacks ordered in Livermore
- Boston Marathon bomb hoax suspect in court
- A's first pitch to honor man killed by drunk driver 29 min ago
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York
- California home prices surge in March; sales fall
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
21 min ago
- Bay Area residents monitor SKorea ferry...
14 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos