San Francisco News
SFFD warns of recent scam attempts
SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco Fire Department officials Thursday warned residents of scam attempts made recently using the name of the fire department.
In one case, a business owner reported receiving a phone call from someone claiming he was raising money for a San Francisco Fire Department yearbook.
After the owner agreed to pay $195, a package came in the mail with a $195 collect-on-delivery fee and no return address. The merchant called the fire department and found out the fundraising effort was not legitimate and refused to receive the package, fire officials said.
Another resident reported receiving an email claiming that, on behalf of the San Francisco Fire Department, he had been issued a $1,000 Visa gift card free of charge.
The email instructed the man to go to a website to claim his prize and said there was a very short window of time for him to be able to complete the transaction.
The man also called the fire department before participating and found out the offer was not legitimate, fire spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said.
The fire department "does not engage in any form of solicitation," Talmadge said. "We do not reach out to the community, in person, by email, U.S. mail or by phone, to raise money for anything."
Before donating or giving personal information to someone claiming to be from the fire department, officials urge residents to call the department at (415) 558-3403.
sffd, fire, scam, san francisco news
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather
- Cal students led move toward divestment 55 min ago
- Security guard captures driver who hit cop
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- North Korea deports elderly Palo Alto man
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested
- Bay Area family competing in national Christmas light competition
- Make-A-Wish, Macy's team up to help Daly City girl
- New option studied for treating back pain
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- GET FREE STUFF: Dog bow tie; makeup
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday