San Francisco News
Suspicious object near AT&T Park was dummy shell
SAN FRANCISCO -- The all-clear signal has been given after a suspicious device shut down the area near AT&T Park in San Francisco for nearly four hours, a police spokesman said.
The device was reported at 10:46 a.m. in the 200 block of Channel Street, located just across McCovey Cove from the ballpark, and the all-clear was given some time before 3:20 p.m., police spokesman Carlos Manfredi said.
Construction crews at a site near Indiana and Mariposa streets apparently uncovered the device while sifting through dirt, and transported it to Channel Street, several blocks north, before notifying authorities, Manfredi said.
Manfredi said police want to discourage people from transporting a suspicious device that could be explosive.
"As a rule of thumb, if you see something that may go boom, stay away," he said.
The Police Department's bomb squad responded and determined the device was an old military-grade artillery shell. Police contacted Travis Air Force Base, which sent technicians to determine the exact nature of the device, Manfredi said.
The incident prompted street closures in the area and the evacuation of two nearby buildings, as well as residents living along the waterfront in houseboats, Manfredi said.
suspicious package, san francisco bay, sffd, SFPD, san francisco news
- Elderly man detained in NKorea reunited with family 6 min ago
- Cold snap brings snow, icy conditions to Bay Area
- Snow, sleet, ice hit large swath of United States
- Crews investigating cause of water main break
- Court records show MLB denied A's move to San Jose 21 min ago
- AMBER Alert suspect may be heading to Mexico
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Police investigating fatal accident in San Jose
- 1 dead, 1 injured in gun battle near Lil Scrappy show
- Winter Spare the Air Alert issued for Sunday, Dec. 8
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping 25 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
50 min ago