San Francisco News
Subway utlity work begins in North Beach despite lawsuit
SAN FRANCISCO -- Over the protests of neighbors -- one of whom has sued the city -- crews Monday are starting to relocate utility lines in North Beach as part of the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency's Central Subway project.
The pre-construction work involves relocating utility equipment along a half-block stretch of Columbus Avenue near Union and Powell streets. It will take about four months, according to the SFMTA.
The work will be followed in early 2013 by 10 months of construction on a shaft to retrieve the tunnel boring machines for the $1.6 billion Central Subway project, which will create a new branch of Muni's T-Third line that will connect the South of Market neighborhood to Chinatown.
Under the current plans for the subway, which is expected to open in 2019, the last stop on the line will be in Chinatown, but the tunnel will extend past Chinatown into North Beach. SFMTA officials say this will allow crews to retrieve the boring machines in 2014.
The planned work has prompted one man to file a lawsuit, and other neighbors and merchants who are angry about how the construction will affect them are threatening to file a second one.
Marc Bruno, a North Beach resident with the group Save North Beach, filed a lawsuit on July 31 asking a San Francisco Superior Court judge for an immediate temporary restraining order to block the project.
That request was denied last Thursday, but an injunction hearing is scheduled in the case on Aug. 29, Bruno said.
Bruno said, "This process from day one has been a top-down one, and the city broke off all communication ... when we started to ask them questions for which they had no answers."
The group considering filing a second suit, Citizens for Sensible Transit, sent a letter to the city on July 31 asking for the project to be delayed.
The group contends that the construction work is more expansive than what was previously approved and is a guise to facilitate an as-yet-unapproved future subway station in North Beach.
Attorney Susan Brandt-Hawley said today that Citizens for Sensible Transit is still waiting for a response from the city and has not decided whether to file a lawsuit.
Muni spokesman Paul Rose said, "We're confident the project will move forward," but declined to comment further.
The construction work begins today will continue Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. It will require lane closures on some streets.
More information about the Central Subway project can be found at www.centralsubwaysf.com.
central subway project, muni, SFMTA, san francisco news
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr 41 min ago
- Three evacuated from house fire in Kentfield
- Report: Corrosion a problem on new Bay Bridge
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Brush fire at Joaquin Miller Park in Oakland
- 1 dead, 2 injured from East Palo Alto shooting
- Man falls from building during Bay to Breakers party
- Tornado levels homes in Oklahoma City trailer park
- Burlingame restaurant to stop serving lion meat dish
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Apps help protect your smartphone from snoops 19 min ago
- abcnews: SEAL auctions bin Laden raid knife
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos